Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Venting for the Sake of Venting

Since I was young, I was told some words for wisdom from so-called "wise adults."
  • Write down your thoughts.
  • Be true to your word.
  • Keep a journal or diary to record your life story, special milestones, or places visited on trips or vacations.
  • Make a scrapbook for every year of your life.
  • Look back on the good times and the bad times and cherish them both, because they make you who you are.
  • Be sure to capture all those "Kodak moments."
  • Do NOT bottle your emotions.
  • Speak your mind.
  • Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
  • If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't saying anything at all.
  • Be honest with yourself.
  • Dreams do come true.

Now that I ponder these sayings, I try to grasp the message that adults are portray...and I'm left completely and utterly confused. We blame everyone else and everything else--politicians, teachers, priests, coaches, family, friends, Marilyn Manson, evil spirits, peer pressure, school systems, society, video games, television, movies, media, etc--for our problems. I strongly urge you to revisit this list and evaluate these words of wisdom and what they now mean to you.

~Until we meet again,

Tissue

1 comment:

  1. So I guess I'm confused about why you're confused. Are saying that people should only blame themselves for their problems? Or if we follow some/all of the advice you posted we wouldn't have anyone or anything to blame or even any problems at all? Or because adults say one thing and then do something else like hypocrisy, should we believe anything they say?

    It's interesting some of the words of wisdom you posted. They're all great even though some are very similar and even contradictory. For example how can I "speak my mind" if "I don't have anything nice to say, then I don't saying anything at all"? Is that part of your confusion?

    The other theme I see here is about ways to remember events or experiences in your life. My take on that one is I'm always striving for events or experiences in my life that change me or touch me deeply. That way I won't have to remember them so much as understand that they can or do change me. That way I'll always have them with me. One way I've found to achieve that is to keep an open mind and eyes and to realize that any experience or event in your life whether that be a 2.5 week trip to another continent or a beautiful view of the clouds on your way home from work, those things can change and touch us deeply down to our souls.

    That’s just my take on your post. I’m looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete